Vacancy: FruitLook Tech Coach
*To be appointed as a Local Candidate under the Dutch Government’s Young Experts Programme (YEP)
Who is Blue North Sustainability?
Blue North (www.bluenorth.co.za) is a Stellenbosch based sustainability consulting practice focused on the agriculture sector. We have an established position supporting farmers, exporters, importers and retailers across international agri-supply chains in the development and implementation of sustainability strategies and programs. Blue North is the local partner of eLeaf and is responsible for the in-field support and execution of FruitLook in the Western Cape.
What is FruitLook?
FruitLook, developed and operated by the Dutch company eLeaf b.v (www.eleaf.com), is an online platform that provides satellite data and reporting to assist farmers in optimizing their crop production and water management. FruitLook is funded by the Western Cape Department of Agriculture and made available free of charge to all farmers in the Western Cape. The FruitLook programme is in its 11th year of operation and has steadily expanded to a point where it has over 800 registered users and covers more than 160,000 Ha.
What is the Young Experts Programme?
This appointment is to be made as part of eLeaf’s participation in the Dutch Government’s Young Expert Programmes (YEP) (www.yepprogrogrammes.com). The main goal of YEP, consisting of YEP Water, YEP Agrofood, YEP Energy and YEP Tailor-made, is to offer young Dutch and Local professionals the opportunity to take their first steps in an international environment. They are employed through Dutch organisations in a number of eligible countries. The programmes aim to rejuvenate the water, agrofood and renewable energy sectors and ensure the continued availability of expertise for these sectors. As a YEP Local Candidate you will receive additional mentoring and support and attend specific YEP training sessions and master classes aimed at enhancing your experience and skills.
What are you going to do?
As a FruitLook Tech Coach, you will be in direct contact with our FruitLook users. You will be involved in market development to expand our user community and providing proactive support to our various user groups and clients including farmers, consultants, agricultural industries, water users associations and researchers. This will require extensive telephonic and messaging engagement as well as travelling to farming regions throughout the Western Cape. Your support to users will involve onboarding and training to ensure the optimal use of FruitLook and assisting in translating data/reports into meaningful actions that make a positive difference at farm-level, both through short-term efficiency gains and building resilience for the long-term. You will be required to run formal training sessions for users (webinars and on-site), prepare and present reports for stakeholders including the Western Cape Department of Agriculture, and to promote FruitLook at formal meetings, conferences and events. You will closely collaborate with and form part of the Blue North team that, together with eLeaf, stands behind the FruitLook platform.
What do we expect?
- MSc qualification in or related to agricultural production (horticulture, viticulture, agronomy, soil science, hydrology, remote sensing/GIS etc.).
- Ability to analyse and interpret numerical data, including spatial datasets and other farm/business data, to draw conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to clearly present results/recommendations to individuals & groups.
- A passion for sustainability in agricultural/food systems with appropriate levels of understanding of sustainability as a specialist subject area.
- Ability to develop and build long-term relationships – particularly with farmers.
- Comfortable in the use of online applications and strong knowledge/proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Excellent Afrikaans & English verbal & written skills.
- Based in Stellenbosch region or surrounds.
- Have a valid SA drivers’ license and own transport.
- Prior experience of the following will be considered a plus in the selection process:
- Consultation with farmers and familiarity with their decision making.
- Knowledge of irrigation management and scheduling.
- Working with spatial datasets gained from satellite, drone or other sensors.
- Knowledge of different agricultural production systems in the Western Cape.
What do we offer?
- An opportunity to work at the forefront of implementing cutting edge agri-technologies to advance water management, crop production and the overall resilience of agricultural systems.
- An international business environment working together with a dynamic team, local & international client base and international technology partners.
- A competitive experience-related salary.
- Participation in the YEP Programme which brings an additional level of international exposure, networking and training.
- Applications will be accepted until Thursday 9th July 2020.
- We require a cover letter clearly motivating your suitability for the role.
- Pleases submit your CV (including at least three contactable references).
- Please submit your applications with supporting documentation to email@example.com
To download the full advert in pdf click HERE